Last updated: January 1, 2023
You want to transfer files from one PC to another ? Here's how to do it quickly and easily, without cables or the Internet.
Indeed, Windows 10 natively integrates a feature called Nearby share that uses bluetooth to transfer files between PCs located close to each other, without cable or network connection.
What is Windows 10 Nearby Sharing?
The functionality of sharing near Windows 10 is very similar to Apple AirDrop. Likewise, it's a feature that will come in handy when you need to quickly send a document, photo, video, or presentation to someone else in the room without having to use the file sharing network, cloud services, email, or a USB drive.
In this guide, we'll walk you through the steps to learn how to transfer files between two PCs with the sharing feature near Windows 10
Enable Nearby Sharing on Windows 10
On Windows 10, Nearby Sharing should be enabled by default after installing the April 2018 Update. However, you can still enable (or disable) it from Windows settings.
To turn on nearby sharing, follow these steps:
- Access the Windows settings from the Start menu.
- Then click on System.
- In the left pane, activate Shared experiences. Flip the switch Proximity sharing on On.
- In the menu I can share or receive content from choose Everyone nearby.
Activate Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
Activate Proximity Sharing in the same way on the PC with which you want to exchange files. Then check that the Wi-Fi as well as the Bluetooth module are activated on each machine. For it:
- Open Parameters .
- Click on Appareils .
- Click on Bluetooth and other devices .
- Turn on the switch to bluetooth toggle .
If you don't see the option, or nearby sharing still isn't working, you may need to install the latest driver Bluetooth on your device.
Send a file
To share a document, video, picture, or other type of file, follow these steps:
- Start the file explorer by pressing Windows + E.
- From File Explorer, right click on the file you want to share
- Click Share in the context menu.
- Windows then searches for nearby PCs that have activated proximity sharing. The name of the other PC appears in the middle of the window: click below.
Validate the transfer
Once you have completed the steps, if the destination device is within Bluetooth range, a notification is displayed on the screen of the recipient PC. Click on Save.
The file will then be saved in the Downloads folder of the user account. Note that you can send several files at the same time in this way.