Last updated: September 30, 2023
Every Windows user knows how tedious it can be to update all of their programs. Despite Microsoft's best efforts to facilitate this process, the reality is that many software do not benefit from automatic updates.
Fortunately, tools such asUpdateHub come to the rescue. In this article, we will explore this handy tool and how it works.
What is UpdateHub?
UpdateHub is an open source tool designed specifically for Windows 10 and Windows 11 devices. It leverages the power of the open source winget tool to check for updates for all installed programs and applications, thus facilitating their installation.
Why need a tool like UpdateHub?
While the Windows operating system supports automatic updates for its own applications, classic Windows programs often require manual intervention.
Some of them have their own update systems, but others require manual updating.
How does UpdateHub work?
Based on Winget
Winget, the Windows package manager, is the backbone of UpdateHub. Although Winget is powerful, using it from the command line can be intimidating to some.
UpdateHub, like other interfaces like WingetUI, makes this task easier by providing an intuitive user interface.
Get started with UpdateHub
- First of all, download and install UpdateHub.
- Launch the app and look for the "Update Available" button in the sidebar.
- If you don't see it, hold down May and click on the icon X to close the application. Then relaunch UpdateHub.
- Click on “Windows Update”. The tool quickly scans and displays a list of programs that need updating.
Settings and customization
Users can access UpdateHub settings to:
- Choose between "silent" or "interactive" installation modes.
- Enable visualization of update download sizes.
- See update ratings.
When an update is found, UpdateHub shows the current version and the new version. Users can then update or specifically ignore each program.
Points to consider
While UpdateHub is unquestionably useful, it has a few shortcomings:
- Lack of detailed information about each update.
- Lack of mass updates; each program must be updated individually.
- However, features like the ability to rollback updates and manage Microsoft Store updates make it particularly appealing.
Keeping your software up to date is crucial, and with UpdateHub on Windows 11, the process is simplified. Follow these steps whenever you want to check for and install updates to keep your system running smoothly and at peak security.