Last updated: November 13, 2022
Le spam represents more than 50% of the total emails exchanged in the world. The means spammers are more and more sophisticated to reach you. Today, our mailboxes are saturated with these junk mail.
Are you fed up with spam in your emails ? Discover in this tutorial tips to stop receiving spam.
3 simple rules to avoid spam
- Do not give your real email address when registering on a website that is not known to be reliable, instead use anti-spam services like YopMail which provide disposable email addresses.
- Create a personal trash address using the services of a standard email provider.
- Avoid publishing your address on the Internet. Indeed, spammers use scripts capable of analyzing thousands of web pages in order to retrieve as many email addresses as possible.
What can I do to stop receiving spam?
If your E-mail adress is already contaminated by spam, is that it appears in one or more files or databases of emails stolen or obtained in an unscrupulous manner and then resold on the internet.
To find out, just go to the website https://haveibeenpwned.com/ which will inform you of the presence of your email address in one of these databases. If that is the case, the best solution is to create a new email address.
If your email address is not too compromised and the spam flow is not too great you can manage it by hand.
- If you just want to unsubscribe because the sender is not abusing mailings towards you, just click on "Unsubscribe" to the right of the sender's email address.
- Otherwise, you can click on the vertical "…" to the right of the date of the email, a vertical menu will then appear giving access to more radical operations such as: Block the sender, Report as spam or report as phishing .
Install your own filters to block spam
You can create specific filters to filter certain email addresses, certain content, emails containing too large attachments, etc.
For Gmail messaging
- First, click on the gear wheel at the top right, then choose "Parameters"in the drop-down menu, then click on the"Filters and blocked addresses", then"Create a filter"
- Then you then get a form like the one below.
- Now choose the criteria that allow you to filter the content you want to trash. Filtering can be done by the sender's email address, by content, etc. Here, we filter emails containing the word "veranda" in the body of the email.
- By clicking on the command "Create a filter", we get the list of available actions as shown in the image above.
- Finally, we choose here to delete the emails selected by the filter. The filter is created by clicking on the blue button "Create a filter".
Use the Gmail "Block Sender" extension to block SPAM
Block Sender extension is specially designed for Google Chrome web browsers. Indeed, it gives you the choice to block any incoming e-mail in one click. Every time you block someone, he receives a false error message.
Then blocked emails can be sent to trash or permanently deleted. However, like all good things at a price, this app is no exception to tradition… $5/month. There is a free edition but with limited features.
You can download block sender.
And There you go ! By following all of these precautions, you will be able to no longer receive SPAM and keep your mailbox running as clean and smooth as possible.