If you're like many who use Windows 11 but dream of accessing macOS, there's good news. Using a few simple workarounds, it's possible to run Apple's macOS on your Windows 11 computer.
This means that you too can now enjoy the unique features offered by macOS without needing to upgrade to a MacBook.
Install macOS on a Windows 11 computer: is it possible?
If you're interested in the look and feel of MacOS, but can't afford a Mac computer, you might consider using a PC running Windows 11 to install macOS.
Although it is possible to download and install MacOS on a non-Apple computer using online tools, such as Virtualbox or Vmware, it is important to note that this process is not officially supported by Apple due to copyright issues.
Also, it's worth pointing out that the installation process can be complex and time-consuming if you don't have hardware and software experience.
The steps to follow to install macOS on a computer with Windows 11
Before starting the installation process, it is crucial to download and install VirtualBox and its extension pack. To successfully install MacOS on a Windows device, there are a few simple steps to follow.
Install VirtualBox and its extension pack
To install VirtualBox and its extension pack, follow these simple steps:
- See you on the VirtualBox download page and download the installer.
- Run the installer to install VirtualBox on your computer.
- Once the installation of VirtualBox is complete, download the corresponding extension pack from their website at: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.12/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.12.vbox-extpack
- Click on the downloaded file to start the installation of the extension pack.
- A prompt will appear, click "Install" then "I accept" to accept the terms and conditions of use.
- Once the installation is complete, you will have successfully configured both tools!
By following these simple steps, you will be able to install VirtualBox and its extension pack quickly and easily.
Create the macOS Montery virtual machine
To download MacOS Monterey in ISO format, follow these steps:
- Start by download MacOS Monterey ISO file.
- Once you get the file, open Virtual Box.
- Click on the "New" button to create a new virtual machine.
- In the "Name" section, give your virtual machine the name "macOS Monterey".
- Increase the size of the memory up to 8 GB. If your computer cannot support this size, go for at least 50% physical RAM. Then you can allocate half of your CPU cores to it to improve performance.
- Next, set the size of the virtual disk. Allocate 60 GB using the corresponding slide and click Create.
Once you have completed these steps, next we will configure MacOS Monterey.
Configure MacOS Monterey virtual machine
After creating the virtual machine, we will now proceed to configure its settings to make it compatible with macOS.
To set up your macOS Monterey virtual machine, follow these simple steps:
- First, click on Configuration and go to the Display section, easily change the video memory by moving a simple slider.
- Then access the storage, go to the "Controller: SATA" option. Check the "Use Host I/O Cache" box, then select the "Empty" option.
- Now click on the DVD icon and choose "Choose Disc File" from the menu. Then head to the location where you saved the macOS file you downloaded before, and select it.
- To finalize the installation, click on the "Choose" button then on "OK". Make sure the ISO file is the one you need to avoid any problems.
- Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
By following these simple steps and making the appropriate settings, you can customize your MacOS Monterey experience and take full advantage of its features.
Other VirtualBox prerequisites for installing macOS
Before installing macOS on the virtual machine, it is important to follow certain steps to properly configure VirtualBox and ensure a problem-free installation. Here are the steps to follow:
Close VirtualBox correctly
Before starting the installation of macOS, it is crucial to close VirtualBox correctly.
Configure virtual machine settings
For this, you need to copy and paste the following lines of code into the command prompt, which will start the setup process. You can paste these lines of code in their entirety and hit the Enter key all at once.
As part of this process, you will need to replace "Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here" with the name of the virtual machine you have chosen. So please check before pressing the enter key.
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff
VBoxManage setextradata "Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3"
VBoxManage setextradata "Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple"
VBoxManage setextradata "Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"
VBoxManage setextradata "Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
These commands modify various parameters of the virtual machine so that it can run the chosen operating system (in this case, "MacOS Monterey") optimally.
Install macOS in the VirtualBox virtual machine
After performing all the aforementioned steps, the environment to install macOS is created, all we have to do is run the virtual machine and install the operating system.
To do this, follow the following steps:
- First, open VirtualBox.
- Next, select the macOS virtual machine you created and click the "Start" button.
- Choose the desired language on the home page, then continue.
- On the Disk Utility page, click "VBOX HARDDISK MEDIA > Erase".
- Confirm your action by clicking "Delete" in the dialog box that appears.
- Close the Disk Utility screen.
- You will then be taken to the recovery page, where you need to select "Install macOS Monterey" and continue.
- Finally, follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation process, such as selecting the installation location and creating a user account.
Installing Mac OS on Windows 11 is a surprisingly easy process that requires minimal technical knowledge. With a few simple commands and steps, you can have the latest version of macOS running smoothly on your virtual machine in no time.
Whether you want to try something new or step away from the familiar confines of Windows, installing Mac OS is a great option for users who want to explore beyond their current operating system environment.