Disappointed with macOS Ventura ? Are you left with incompatible software, app bugs and lack of features? Here is how to revert to macOS Monterey.
If you take the plunge and install macOS Ventura — and then regret it — there's a way out. You can in fact revert your system to macOS Monterey using a bootable USB key.
For this, you need to have the following items on hand:
- An Apple Mac computer running macOS Ventura.
- A USB key over 15 GB.
- The macOS Monterey installer file.
- A Time Machine backup if you don't want to lose your data.
Then you need to follow the 4 steps below to upgrade from macOS Ventura to Monterey.
Download macOS Monterey on your Mac
- First of all, open this MacOS Monterey download link on the Safari browser. Click on " View in Mac App Store ».
- Wait a few seconds, the App Store will appear on the macOS Monterey page with the " Obtain ».
- Click on the button Obtain and automatically start the download process.
- Once the download process is complete, open the Finder > select section Applications.
- Then check that the Monterey installer is in your Applications folder. But don't open it yet.
Now that the installation file is ready, we will start creating the macOS Monterey installation USB key. But first, you need to format the USB drive before using it
Format the USB stick
- Connect your USB key to your Mac computer,
- Go to Finder -> Applications -> Utilities.
- Open Disk Utility.
- Select the USB drive and click Clear up.
- Give the name " FunInformatiqueto your USB flash drive and select the format type "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
- Click on Clear . Once Cleared successfully, proceed to the next step.
Create a macOS Monterey Installer USB Drive
Now open Port and type the command below, make sure the name of your USB drive is: "FunInformatique" if not, also modify the command:
When prompted, enter your password and press again. Starter.
Si Port asks your permission to continue, press Y.
You can have a little coffee while creating the installation USB key. This will take a few minutes depending on the writing capacity of your USB flash drive.
Once your installation USB drive is ready, you will receive a message in Terminal like " Install media now available at /Volumes/Install macOS Monterey ».
Install macOS Monterey on your Mac using the USB drive
Once you have your installation USB, it's time to downgrade your macOS Ventura to Monterey.
All safe? Let's install macOS Monterey now.
Erase the hard drive where Ventura is installed
We have just told you, before starting the installation, you must erase the hard disk on which Ventura is installed.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Plug the macOS Monterey installer USB drive into your Mac.
- Enter Recovery Mode: Shut down your Mac, and after 10 seconds, press and hold the power button until you see Startup Volume with options on the screen.
- Then select " Options ».
- Now in the recovery mode window select Disk Utility in Options And click Continue.
- Select the macOS Ventura drive from the left side of the window.
- Then click on Clear in the higher options. This will erase all data on the hard drive.
- When the process is complete, exit Disk Utility and shut down your Mac.
Start installing MacOS Monterey
- After the hard drive has been successfully erased, start your Mac while holding down the power button until you see the screen with "Install macOS Monterey".
- You will now launch the installation of macOS Monterey by choosing the " Install macOS Monterey ».
- Select the hard drive to which Monterey should be installed and click Next.
- Confirm that you want to install macOS Monterey.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the downgrade macOS Ventura to macOS Monterey.
Once the process is complete, follow the steps as if you were using your Mac computer for the first time. It won't take too long, and you should be up and running with the Monterey version in minutes.