La defragment a hard drive in Windows 10 consists in grouping the fragments of files scattered on the disk in order to optimize the access times of the hard disk when reading large files.
Before partition a disk on, it is important to defragment it to maximize free space.
The defragmentation process in Windows is very simple. An essential maintenance operation, which I will explain to you.
Windows 10, like previous versions of the OS, includes a hard drive defragmentation tool. It is very easy to use:
- In Windows 10, start typing the word "defrag"in the Windows search bar and click on the result Defragment and optimize drives
- Choose the drive to defragment
- Click on Analyze
If after the analysis you read the message " Needs to be optimized "in the column Current state, Click on the button Optimize their campaigns, to start the defragmentation of the Windows 10 hard drive.
And There you go ! You have just learned how to defragment a hard drive in Windows 10.
Defragment your Windows 10 hard drive from the command line
If you have a geek mind and want to defrag your hard drive using the Command Prompt, here's how to do it.
- In Windows 10, open the command prompt in administrator mode. To do this, type CMD in the search bar, right click on the application icon and open it as administrator.
- Type the following command:
- Replace the letter C with the letter of the disk you want to defragment.
Depending on the size of your hard drive and how fragmented it is, the operation may take several minutes.