Last updated: October 9, 2023
La defragment a hard drive in Windows 10 aims to reassemble file fragments scattered on the disk. This operation helps optimize access times when reading large files.
Imagine your hard drive is like a library. Over time, the pages of some books may become scattered in different places.
Defragmentation brings these pages together so that each book is complete and easy to read again
Before partition a disk, it is essential to defragment it in order to maximize the use of free space. The defragmentation process in Windows is both simple and essential. We will guide you through this procedure
Windows 10, like previous versions of the OS, includes a hard drive defragmentation tool. It is very easy to use:
- In Windows 10, start typing the word "defrag"in the Windows search bar and click on the result Defragment and optimize drives.
- Choose the drive to defragment.
- Click on Analyzes.
If after the analysis you read the message " Needs to be optimized "in the column Current state, Click on the button Optimize their campaigns, to start the defragmentation of the Windows 10 hard drive.
And There you go ! You have just learned how to defragment a hard drive in Windows 10.
Defragment your Windows 10 hard drive from the command line
If you have a geek mind and want to defrag your hard drive using the Command Prompt, here's how to do it.
- In Windows 10, open the command prompt in administrator mode. To do this, type CMD in the search bar, right click on the application icon and open it as administrator.
- Type the following command:
- Replace the letter C with the letter of the disk you want to defragment.
Depending on the size of your hard drive and how fragmented it is, the operation may take several minutes.