Last updated: July 3, 2022
Is your computer slow and your hard drive still at 100? Know that you are not the only one, it is a problem that one finds regularly in Windows 10. And which causes a hard drive overload. Suddenly the PC becomes extremely slow and we hardly advance any more.
This problem is caused by the improper use of some tools.Windows 10 optimization. And it is recurrent when we are in the presence of a computer that is equipped with 4 to 6 GB of memory and a conventional hard drive.
To try to fix high disk usage issue on your Windows 10 systemHere are 4 methods that you can use on your machine.
Turn off Windows 10 search
The service Windows Search allows you to quickly search for files on your PC. It indexes all Windows files to speed up searches.
The problem with Windows Search is that it indexes everything in performance. And every time it encounters new files, it will index them. This slows down the operation of your computer enormously.
If you don't use it at all, you can turn it off completely. Disabling the Windows Search service will stop indexing all files.
I advise you instead of having a small one-off optimization, turn off that trick that slows down your PC all the time.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Press the combination keys Windows + R to launch the dialog box Execute, then type services.msc and press Enter.
- Locate Windows Search and double click on it to open its "Properties" window.
- Change the Startup type option to disabled. Then click on Apply et OK to save your change.
Deindex your hard drives
You can also deindex your hard drives. Indexing your hard drives is such a low-key technique that you may never have heard of it. Still, it plays an important role in finding files on your hard drive.
However the indexing options also slow down your computer. Here's how to fix it.
- Press the combination keys Windows + E to launch the file explorer
- Then you right click on the hard drive to deindex and select Property.
- Then, uncheck the option Allow indexing of the contents of this drive in addition to file properties And click apply, you're going to ask for confirmation, you do Yes.
- Finally, you will then get a message telling you that there are files that they cannot be deindexed. In this case, click on Ignore all.
Disable the SuperFetch or SysMain service
For simplicity, SuperFetch or SysMain is a small program which automatically loads the programs into memory that you use frequently for faster access.
The problem is that if you have less than 4 GB of memory, SuperFetch will saturate your memory because of all these programs that will load and suddenly, once there is no more memory, it will start to use the virtual memory.
La virtual memory, as its name suggests, is used to artificially increase RAM, by temporarily transferring data to the computer hard drive.
However, since the hard drive is not as fast as memory, we will make the hard drive work for nothing, then the PC will be slow to load and we will have a very high disk usage.
So I advise you to disable this feature. For that, I invite you to follow these steps:
- Press the combination keys Windows + R to open the dialog box Execute then type services.msc and press Enter.
- Search SuperFetch and double click on it to open its window Manufacturing . If you can't find SuperFetch, search sysmain.
- Then click on Stop then on change the Startup type option to disabled to no longer have to load SuperFetch or SysMain.
- Finally, then click on Apply et OK to save your change.
Defragment your hard drive
La fragmentation of your hard drive can make your PC slower than it should. Again, Windows has a utility that allows you to defragment your hard drive and make it faster.
- Launch File Explorer by pressing the combination keys Windows + E
- Right-click on the drive to defragment and click "Manufacturing ".
- Open the tab Tools. In the zone Optimize and defragment the drive, Click on the button Optimize their campaigns.
- Select the drive to defragment and click on the button Optimize their campaigns.
- Finally, be aware that depending on the size of your hard drive and its state of fragmentation, the operation may take several hours.
So there you have it, that's the end of this tutorial. Hope you enjoyed the few tips I gave you. Leave comments if you need help or have questions for me.