Have you lost your top secret password on your Windows Seven? Or is it your little brother who changed it and who of course forgot it? Do not panic ! There is a very easy way to reset your Windows 7 session password.
In this article, we will see step by step how to reset the password of a Windows Seven session. For this we need a linux Ubuntu Live CD and some command lines!
We are going to use an Ubuntu Live CD for a simple reason: it allows us to modify some files that cannot be modified in Windows. The hack consists in ensuring that you can launch the command prompt directly from the Windows logon choice screen.
- To begin with, it is therefore necessary download the linux distribution Ubuntu (it weighs 695 MB) and burn it to a CD.
- Insert the Ubuntu CD in your computer then restart it. When prompted, choose to boot from CD drive.
- After a few tens of seconds, the Linux distribution desktop is displayed. In the window that appears, choose "Try Ubuntu".
- After starting Ubuntu, open the Ubuntu command prompt and type the following commands:
- cd / mnt (to go to the mount points folder)
- ls (to list all the files)
- cd sda1 (to access your main drive, where Windows is located)
- cd Windows / (To get into the Windows folder)
- System32 cd / (To go to the System folder of your windows)
- mv Utilman.exe Utilman.old (Utilman is the executable corresponding to the ergonomics options. It will rename the Utilman.exe program to .old for a future restoration if you do a bad manipulation)
- cp cmd.exe Utilman.exe (will make a copy of the cmd.exe program by calling it Utilman.exe)
- reboot (for restart)
It's over. You can quit Ubuntu and restart your PC normally.
On the logon choice screen, click on the button at the bottom left, Ease of use. Or press the key combination: "Windows key + U"
The ms-dos command prompt (cmd.exe) with system privileges is launched. Then type the following commands, taking care to respect the spaces:
c:>net user yourlogin yourpassword / add (will create a new administrator account)
c:>net localgroup Administrators votrelogin / add (will add this new account)
Then restart the PC and voila! You can log in again without any worries 🙂!