Last updated: January 16, 2023
It happens that your computer gets slow doing a job or just seeing a movie? You want to know how to boost your pc ?
Without going through third-party software, it is possible tooptimize the performance of your PC. Windows includes all the necessary tools.
In this article, I will present 4 tips that I personally use to boost my Windows computer.
Disable unnecessary services
Among all the programs and processes that start at startup, some are not necessarily useful and slow down the startup of the PC. Windows automatically launches at startup all a collection of not always useful and resource-intensive services. It's easy to stop them. You just need to follow the steps below:
- In the start menu search box, type Services. Click on Services, with the gear as a logo, or on Show local services.
- Some services are not necessarily useful to you (for example those which manage PC fleets, useless if your PC is not connected to a company or home network).
In this case, right click on it then properties. Choose Disabled to the right of Startup type and confirm with OK.
- Each service is configured to a Startup Type. Automatic means that the service starts when Windows starts. Manual indicates that the service is not loaded at startup, but it will be started as soon as necessary. Finally, a service can be completely deactivated.
- You have to be careful with these manipulations, otherwise you will deactivate essential services. If you are not sure what to do, do an internet search for the service that is causing you doubts before deciding whether to turn it off or not.
Clean up in MSconfig
Often, when users install or download a program, it will run automatically during the Windows startup process, which decreases the speed of your machine.
If you are bothered by hundreds of software launching automatically when Windows starts up, the solution is very simple:
- Click on Start and enter the command msconfig and validate by entry,
- In the tab Start-up, you would find a list of all the programs that are running at startup. Uncheck the boxes in front of the software you want to disable.
And here is the problem of starting several software is solved.
Free up RAM
A trick that I use regularly is to stop greedy processes to optimize the RAM of my machine.
Whether you're on Windows 11 or later, tap Ctrl + shift + esc to open the task manager. Applications are separated from processes.
Click on process to display the programs which occupy a lot of RAM.
To stop a process and free the corresponding resources, right click on it and then left click on End task.
It is important to know what you are doing, some of which are essential for the functioning of the PC. If you are in doubt as to the usefulness of a process, type its name into a search engine to check what it is for.
Finally, in the tab Performance, you can view the percentage of RAM used.
As a result of the operations you have just performed, you should observe a decrease in this value.
Disable visual effects on Windows
The visuals are nice, admittedly, but they can slow down aging setups. deactivating them will then give your machine a facelift.
To access the visual effects, go to the menu search field Start, type "Adjust visual effects"and click"Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows".
You can tick "Adjust for the best performance"(which deactivates all effects), or"Custom settings"to uncheck only the effects of your choice.
Don't forget to Apply the changes before validating with OK.
Hope this tutorial has helped you the minimum for boost your computer safely. And if you have any additions or questions, feel free to post them in a comment!