You want to remove Microsoft Edge to save space and optimize your Windows 10 system ? Or do you want to replace Edge browser with Google Chrome browser because the latter is much faster?
In this tutorial I show you how to remove Microsoft Edge from Windows 10. I will also show you how to reinstall it.
Microsoft Edge is Microsoft's new web browser created to replace Internet Explorer. It is built into Windows 10 and unfortunately Microsoft does not give us the option to uninstall or remove Microsoft Edge.
This is because it is not possible to uninstall Microsoft Edge from "Add or Remove Programs".
And it is clearly not the choice of users to have the Edge browser installed on their computer.
So how do you remove Microsoft Edge? Because yes, integrated or not, it is possible!
Follow these few steps to get this browser out of your Windows 10 operating system forever.
Remove Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
For this tutorial, we will be using a small utility created by developer Michal Wnuowski.
- To begin, download the Uninstall Edge.ZIP utility, extract the files to your desktop or to the folder of your choice. You can scan the file online on VirusTotal, you will see that out of 57 antivirus, it is not recognized by any as dangerous or suspicious.
- Right click on it on "Uninstall Edge.cmd" and choose "Run as administrator".
- A black window will open and the removal process will start automatically. Wait a few seconds ...
- As soon as the deletion is complete. Restart your computer.
There you go, Microsoft Edge should never bother you again. Be careful, however: the program is integrated into the system, you may encounter some problems. It is possible that you come across some broken features. So it is better to turn it off only.
Disable Microsoft Edge manually
With the first method, you may run into some trouble and it may not work, especially if you are in a restricted user account or on certain Windows 10 Home versions.
In this case, there is another method, disable Microsoft Edge by changing the default application settings. For that, I invite you to follow these steps:
- First of all, download and install your favorite browser (Chrome, Firefox, safari ..).
- Then remove the shortcut from the taskbar. Right-click on the Microsoft Edge icon and choose "Detach from taskbar".
- Now click on the “Start” button and then type in “Control Panel”. In the search results, select "Windows Control Panel".
- Then click on "Programs" and select "Choose default programs ".
- Select the browser you want to use by default (in my case, it's chrome) then click on "Choose default settings".
- Check "Select all" and Click "Save".
And There you go ! You should no longer see Microsoft Edge opening.
Reinstall Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
If you used the first solution, you may want to reinstall Microsoft Edge. In this case, you just need to recover an earlier Windows 10 restore point. Here are the steps to follow:
- Type "Recovery" in the Windows 10 search bar. Then click on "Recovery".
- Select "Open System Restore".
- Select the restore point you want and click "Next".
- Finally, click on "Finish". Your computer will restart and display a message confirming that the restore was successful.
When launching Windows 10 after restarting, Microsoft Edge browser will be installed again.