Last updated: December 29, 2022
This tutorial explains how to put Windows 10 on a bootable USB from any computer. Indeed, a USB key is much faster than a DVD player, the use will be fluid and fast.
To put Windows 10 on a USB key, you will need to equip yourself with a USB key with at least 16 GB of storage space in USB 3.0 and the FlashBoot tool.
FlashBoot is a software allowing the creation of bootable USB keys so that you will have the possibility of using Windows 10 from this medium.
How to put Windows 10 on a USB stick?
- First of all, download the ISO of Windows 10. Next download the FlashBoot utility.
- Insert a USB key (16GB or more) into the computer. Open Flashboot. In the first page of the program wizard, click "Next".
- Choose "Full OS -> USB" from the main menu.
- Choose "Windows 8/8.1/10 (for UEFI-based computers)" from this menu and click "Next".
- Click on the three small dots and specify the file ISO image Windows 10 that you downloaded earlier then click "Next".
- In the drop-down menu that appears, select the USB key to use and click Next again.
- Finally check the summary information and click on Format Now.
The process of installing Windows 10 on a USB drive can take tens of minutes, or even hours. Be patient and let the software run until the installation is complete.
The bootable USB storage device is ready for use. Click OK to exit.
How to use Windows 10 from a USB key?
To start Windows 10 from your USB key, you will need to access your machine's BIOS and change the machine's boot priority order. Handling may differ from one PC to another.
In the case of an HP PC here is how to change the boot order:
- As soon as your operating system boots, hold down the "F2" key to enter the BIOS.
- Press the RIGHT ARROW directional key to select Boot.
- Press the DOWN ARROW key to select Boot Order.
- Use the F5 or F6 key to change the order.
- Press the F10 key to save the changes and restart the computer.