Last updated: December 31, 2022
Le BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is a set of functions, contained in the read only memory (ROM) of the motherboard of a computer allowing it to perform basic operations when it is powered on.
As soon as you turn on your computer, it takes control of it. It checks the proper functioning of the hardware (memory, hard disk, etc.) and tests the components of the computer.
Once it has finished all of that, it hands over to your operating system. As you can see, the BIOS is the essential element for any type of machine start-up.
To protect your computer's BIOS, you must activate the password present in it. At each start, you will then be asked for this password.
Benefits of BIOS password
- Prevent any modification, by an intruder, of the BIOS parameters;
- Prevent booting, by an intruder, from a removable disk
- Prevent system startup if the correct password is not entered;
The risks if the password is not activated
There are many software programs that allow you to reset Windows password without knowing it.
For example with the tool WINPE 10-8, it is possible to delete the password of a Windows user account by booting from a DVD or a USB key containing ISO file WINPE 10-8.
Here the intruder has the default choice which offers to delete a password.
Enable BIOS password
To enable the BIOS password, follow the steps below:
- Access the BIOS settings by pressing the appropriate key just when you start your computer. The key differs depending on the model of your motherboard. Depending on the BIOS brand, this may be the key F2, the key F10, the key OF (on French keyboards: "Delete"), or one of the following key sequences:
- Ctrl + Alt + Escape ;
- F1 key ;
- F10 key ;
- Ctrl + Alt + S ;
- The Ctrl + Alt + Ins combination ;
- Ctrl + Alt + Escape ;
- To find the BIOS access key, press the Break Attn from the first seconds of booting: the screen freezes allowing you to read the BIOS access key.
- When the BIOS welcome window appears, navigate to the "Security" section using the (up, down, left, right) keys on your keyboard and then press the (Enter) key.
- Go down to " Set supervisor password " or " set boot password ". There you will have to enter the password you want twice.
- Once the password has been validated, save the changes by pressing F10 and, when prompted if you want to save the changes, type the letter Y. Then press Enter to restart the computer.
- The system restarts. You will then be prompted for the BIOS password to start the PC.
To remove BIOS password, return to the BIOS menu, validate the password fields without filling them, then save the changes.