Last updated: July 2, 2022
Whether it is to share it, to keep it in an archive or to ensure that it does not disappear, we all needed to upload our videos to youtube.
The platform does not directly allow downloading of the content it hosts. For this, it is possible to go through extensions to install on your browser or through specialized sites. At best, these free solutions bombard you with ads. In the worst case, some malware may be hidden there.
Did you know that it is possible to download your YouTube videos without tools or extensions ? We explain how to do this in a few very simple steps.
Download your YouTube videos from Chrome
To explain to you how download your videos directly from your browser, we are going to use the Chrome browser which remains the most used browser in the world today. However, the principle remains the same for other browsers such as Mozilla Firefox.
- Open your YouTube video that you want to download;
- Open the developer tool by pressing Ctrl + Shift + J (on Windows) or Cmd + Option + J (on Mac);
- Go to the tab " Network »;
- Refresh the page for the video to play. In the search bar, write " video To display all the lines linked to the video.
- Look for the line " video playback »Having taken the longest time to load (881ms in this example). In particular, this makes it possible to identify the version in the best available quality.
- Click on this link, and copy the entire URL request;
- Paste this link in your search bar. Attention, do not press "enter", you will not see the video. It is necessary to delete, at the end of the link, the mention "& range = xxxxx-xxxxxxxx". You can then validate the link.
- The video will appear in your browser. All you have to do is press the options (three dots at the bottom right);
- You will then see an option allowing you to download the video directly to your computer.
Even if this method seems difficult at first glance, you will realize after two or three tries that the download of youtube videos is a breeze that can be done with just a few clicks. All this without tools or extensions.