Last updated: August 1, 2022
You may have already noticed that iOS imposes a 200 MB limit for downloading from the App Store. Downloads made via a mobile data network (3G or 4G) are limited to a file size of 200MB. This is a real problem for those with a unlimited 4G plan provided by their operator.
With a big app in the App Store, a switch to a Wi-Fi network will be required to start the download.
I don't know about you but I think that 200MB limit is a ridiculous size. Apple could add an option in iOS to enable or disable this limit.
Fortunately, there are two very simple workarounds that allow us to download apps from the App Store larger than 200MB in size without the need for a Wi-Fi network.
1) Bypass 200 MB limit on iPhone with Airplane mode
This solution consists of using airplane mode to bypass this 200 MB limitation. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to the App Store then start the download of an application or game of more than 200 MB that you want to have on your iPhone or iPad
- A message will tell you that you need to connect to Wifi. Just click on Ok.
- Then the application will appear on the home screen but its download will not start until you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Now activate airplane mode and restart your smartphone and wait 10 seconds
- After restarting, turn off airplane mode
Voila it's over, after a few seconds, the waiting application will start to download automatically on the mobile network without WIFI!
2) Bypass 200 MB limit by changing the time of your iPhone
This solution lies in changing the time of your mobile device, for that I invite you to follow these few steps:
- First, start downloading an application weighing more than 200MB.
- Then go to Settings then in General> Date & time
- Turn off automatic adjustment and advance the date a few days.
Wait a few seconds, the pending app will start to download automatically. Finally you can put the current date back on your iPhone or iPad.